Saturday, January 19, 2008

Jumbled Thoughts

A lot has happened this week, but I haven't been able to "blog" for fear of offending someone or worse yet, for fear of writing things from my heart, or jumbled thoughts, that may not be God-honoring.

I read a lot of blogs. I got caught up one day on following links from one blog to another until something really caught my eye and my heart, and stopped my jumbled thoughts for a few minutes. Here's what I read:

One day, as I was walking and pondering, it was as if the Lord said to me, “Sally, if I took everything away from you that you hold dear, would you still believe in me?” It was suddenly as though God was shining a spotlight onto the deepest part of my soul, and I found at the very bottom of it, that with all the difficulties that a fallen world could throw at me, I would still rather hold on to my faith in God and believe in His love and goodness for the rest of my life, than to choose a life of existentialism and despair. But a realization came to me that this choice would require constant vigilance–that I would have to guard my heart and feed it with the truth of God’s word and His constance in my life...
...from this blog I found...

OK, so here's the thing. I remember when Todd was first diagnosed. I refused to believe he had cancer. When the facts sunk in there was just no way either one of us would believe that he would die from this cancer. I told God I couldn't live without him. I told God He had to heal him. I told God a lot, but God was good. He was patient with me.

Todd and I had publically and personally dedicated ourselves to raise each one of our children to love God. We had also given each one of them back to Him. We knew (especially after Winter Hope was born) that they were, in reality, already His children. In my mind Todd was not God's. Todd was mine. So Todd couldn't die. I know the faulty reasoning here, but please allow me to continue and try to finish this.

Since Todd died, I struggled with praying. Why should I? God was going to do what He wanted anyway, right? Our pastor often spoke on prayer, and one time I emailed him asking him why God didn't answer my prayers for Todd's health, along with a few other interesting and difficult questions. Here was his response:

"I feel very inadequate to try and respond to your questions as I often have more questions than answers myself.
In my reading today, I found this statement by a writer I highly respect: We live by promises not by explanations. God did answer your prayer and today, Todd is completely healed and in glory. Why didn't God heal him and leave him here? I don't know; honestly I don't have an explanation but I do have promises that I believe. I know God has a purpose and a plan. I know God didn't forget your prayers. I know that God has not forsaken you. I know God loves you with an everlasting love. You ask, where is God's love for Todd? I want you to think about that. God showed the ultimate love for His child, Todd, in promoting him to glory. Where is God's love for you? God gave the ultimate healing and promotion to the person you loved the most on this earth. If God gave you a choice to give supreme blessing to one individual on this earth, who, other than him, would you have chosen to receive the ultimate prize - the greatest of all eternal blessings? The truth is, God gave Todd the very best He has - eternal life in Heaven with Him. The whole time you were praying, God was answering your prayer; I can't tell you all the different ways, but He was working in everyone's hearts and lives in ways that we still may not see and understand now. In the seeming silence, God was answering and still is. I can't explain it but We live by promises not by explanations.
God loves you and your children; He has not forsaken you; He has a purpose and plan. His plan has worked for Todd's good and will work for your and the children's good. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true. Explain it, I can't; believe it, we must!
Three times we are told in the N.T. "The just shall live by faith." "By faith" means we are not going to have all the answers but we trust and believe anyway.
I don't have much at all to offer by way of explanation and there is so much I don't yet know and understand either, but I do know God's Word is true and His promises true even though sometimes I don't understand it all. I know God loves you and your children and that He wants to bless and use you all. I know Todd is with the Lord, rejoicing around the throne eternal and is infinitely better off than we are. I know, one day, we'll understand it all. I know, until then, we've got to go on serving Him by faith."

That helped a lot, yet for some reason I still have great difficulty in praying, especially for others' health. Since Todd died, several friends and relatives have been diagnosed with cancer and other serious ailments. Some have survived, others haven't. These past years I've lost four precious friends and relatives to cancer. However, I've felt numb, with hardly any feeling when I hear and read about their struggles. Yes, I feel guilty for this. I can't help it, though. There just hasn't been any emotions.

Then, for some reason I may never know or understand, some friends suddenly "appear" back in my life, and a few short weeks later, their Dad, a dear friend of our family's, is diagnosed with cancer. I cried! It was the first time in years I cried for another person's suffering. I prayed. I keep praying. I read of Buddy and his church annointing oil and praying over his Dad, and got chills and cried some more. This is good, right? But why does it hurt so much? I don't like the pain. I want to feel numb to it all, but the pain keeps coming. So many memories that hurt more than they did before, keep running through my mind. I don't want to feel these emotions, but they are coming in waves since I've heard about "Uncle" Chuck.

Yes, jumbled thoughts. Painful memories. But many lessons to be learned. God remains good and will always remain good. No matter what comes my way here on earth, I am going to choose, as Sally Clarkson has, to live by faith and to believe in His goodness...no matter what...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wendy, I am having a hard time typing this as I have tears in my eyes and streaming down my cheeks.
If only we could see things as they really are, through God's eyes. Your Pastor's response really got me thinking as I too, have recently heard of many people with grave illnesses, some of whom have been healed and remain here on earth, while others have been given perfect and complete healing and are now in Heaven.

Through reading your blog the Lord has opened my eyes to the eternal...I tend to focus so much on the "here and now." He is working on me to see beyond today and it's circumstances. He is giving me a burden for the lost who do not have the hope that we do. He is teaching me that I need to let go of the grip I have on life and my family and let Him take over for me. Thank you for continuing to open your heart and share with us!

Hey, your feeling pain is a good thing, not necessarily pleasant but good! I think it means that you are moving forward.
God bless and keep you.
Love in Him,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
You don't know me. I am just another sister in the Lord. I stumbled upon your web page some time ago. My heart broke as I read what had happened. Please know that I and my family are praying for you all. I homeschool my children and have been married for 20 years this year. I live in Media also. My childhood and teenage years were a painful walk though abandonment, abuse, and the deaths of most of my family. It has even followed me into my adult life... I often wanted to know why like you. My Aunt once told me why ask why? Maybe you would not be able to understand the answer, maybe we could not handle the answer. Even so I hope that someday the father will explain it to me. The most profound thing I ever learned about death is when my baby sister (23 at the time - Mom of 3) died suddenly. I wept and gieved so much. The way in which she died made it all the more painful. After much weeping and prayer... a thought came to me.... I felt in a small way it was an answer to prayer.... God loved my sister as much and more than I did. He was the one that died for her. She was never really mine but istead belonged to God first. He lent her to me. I finally grasped a thought that had never occured to me... what if she had never been ... no crying... no pain at her loss... but then no green eyes looking up at me as a baby.. little I love yous... no little hand in mine ... no ring around the rosey as children... no little giggling and someone snuggling up with me afraid to be in their own bed.... I would have missed her not being in my life... then finally I was able to turn around and look at God and say thank you for even the pain at her loss... for my life was so much better for having her in it... I would do it all over again ... just to know her.... thank you for lending her to me God... she was yours first....

I lost my other and only remaing sibling recently... she was tragically murdered... she leaves behind a family of 4 motherless children.... (2 more children have already passed away) I look in their little faces and I see the pain... the hardest part is that my sister and I looked almost like twins... when they see me they almost see their Mom.... We all miss her deeply.... My life has such a hole in it.... I am suddenly an only child... she was only 33. I long for heaven all the more ... I long to be where we will never see death again... Only my sister knows the inside family jokes ... the funny stories only we knew.... the memories of our little sister and her passing.... I really think God gave you and I our children because he knew we would need them to be able to go on.... as far as not feeling things and then suddenly crying over someone you don't know.... what is normal... is anyone normal... is there a normal grieving process... what is it... more than likely the shock of death being all around has numbed you... there seems to be no reason or rhyme to it... I am glad that it only seems that way... I know God has a plan in all this but the pain is still there.... Someone told me I am strong... I don't think so... I think I had two choices.... lay down and die with them or get up and live... I have two children .... and her children all looking at me with weepy eyes and heavy hearts... how do I make them believe there will be happiness again someday ... I have to live.... I have to help them have hope if even I don't feel it sometimes... You don't get over it... you just get painfully used to it.... Todd left you a gift though... in your children ... he left you the promise of laughter and love and hope again through them... they will not get over their father's loss but they will get through it... he was tough and so are you and they have that in them... they will grow up and marry and have children and laugh again... he would want that don't you think.... he would want to know that at some place ... some time in the future that his children and you were able to laugh and have some happiness again... never feel guilty when it happens... it does not mean you miss him less... it means his wish even in heaven is coming true for you... we are all praying for you... God bless... I know this was a very personal letter from a stranger but loss has almost become a way of life to me.... and yet God still has me here for some reason... you are still here for a reason too... don't let the devil steal away the future happiness and future plans God has for you and your children. Your story has touched me and others.... thinking of you... praying for you... God bless!!! from Angel