Saturday, January 12, 2008

I HATE CANCER!!

I hate cancer. I'm so tired of hearing "God's will" when it comes to those trying to comfort myself (when Todd was sick) and others who are dealing with cancer. I know people mean well, but saying such things like, "It must have been God's will for Todd to get sick..." only focuses my anger or contempt in the wrong direction! Let me make myself very clear: I'm angry at cancer, not at God. I hate cancer. I love God.

God's will is for everyone to know Him, first personally as their Savior from sin, then to draw close to Him, glorifying Him, and serving Him. What is the greatest commandment? "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy mind, and with all thy soul." Yes, God is in control. Yes, God allowed cancer. But God's will is for us to draw close to Him through the things that He allows, not that we should suffer with things like cancer.

I hope that makes sense. Our family, and countless others, have been overwhelmed and devastated in hearing the word, "cancer." Please don't get angry at the One who we need to run to for our comfort and strength. Cancer is NOT God's will; God wants us to go to Him, draw close to Him, love Him, and serve Him....especially through times like this. Get angry at cancer, not God.

We have t-shirts that say, "Cancer Sucks" (well, Tiffany doesn't like that word, so she has one that says "Cancer stinks"). But anyway, it helps us to keep our anger in the right direction. Cancer does suck.

Oh, and one more thing before I stop writing today:
I love you, Uncle Chuck! Our prayers are often and diligent for you and your precious family in this recent diagnosis. You and your family have a special place in my heart. You always have had a way of showing your love for our God in a fun and exciting way. Thank you for that! I love you for that. God is good.

1 comment:

John Cremeans said...

I agree...cancer sucks! Good post Wendy...keep writing...keep feeling...and keep inching forward. I'm proud of your crazy day with the kids...sounds like the old/new Wendy to me!