Tuesday, February 26, 2008

20th Wedding Anniversary





I can't believe it myself, but tomorrow, February 27, 2008, would have been our 20th wedding anniversary. We had 17 fantastic years together. Even though our last anniversary together was spent in the ICU at National Institutes of Health, miles away from our family and friends, it was one I will always cherish. We used to try to be the first one to say "Happy Anniversary," which eventually led to setting alarms, getting each other distracted, trying anything to be the first who said it (I usually won), so our last anniversary was no different (at least for me).



Todd was in the ICU, only 10 days after major surgery, still very critical, and I repeatedly reminded him that our 17th wedding anniversary was the next day. The nurses would get involved and ask him, "What special day is tomorrow, Todd?" (the neurology team would ask him questions daily like "What is your name?" and asking if he knew who I was...some days he would know and others he wouldn't). Every time he was asked about the 27th, he would smile and say, "That's the day I married the most beautiful lady in the world." (that was me) :) He never forgot the "right answer" to that question. (when he was unsure of an answer for the neurologists, he would look at me and say, "Was that the right answer?" It was precious, but so sad too....during surgery he had had a stroke.)

Anyway, I couldn't sleep when I left him on the 26th. Of course I waited until one minute after midnight, called the ICU, and asked the nurse to tell Todd I said Happy Anniversary. I also asked her to mark it down on his chart that I said it first, knowing he would probably argue that point in the morning. The nurse thought that was funny, and she laughed and commented that we acted like we were newlyweds or something.


The next morning, Todd greeted me with the biggest smile. He said, "Happy Anniversary. You beat me this time."

I wish we were celebrating here. Happy Anniversary my love. You gave me the best 17 years of my life. Thank you. I miss you more than words could tell.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Anniversary, Wendy! Thanks for sharing pictures and your thoughts. You look the same as in your wedding pictures. Most people would not even recognize me in my wedding pics! May you feel the arms of our Lord around you throughout this day.
Love in Him,
Beth

Melissa Murphy said...

Praying you have as good of a day as you possibly can...

What a sweet story. :')

Debbie said...

Thinking of and praying for you this day. Nothing wise to say, just sending love and a ((hug))