Friday, November 9, 2007

Dear God... (Special Requests)

There is much about heaven that we do not know. God has chosen, in His wisdom, not to share many details with us. I find myself "talking" to Todd often. This is obviously different than "talking" or praying to our Father in heaven. We are told to make our requests known unto Him (God). So lately I've had some special requests.

Last night at church, the children played baseball. Watching the Tobster try to swing a plastic baseball bat for the first time, brought a smile and tears to my eyes. My request? "Dear Father in heaven, please somehow let Todd know and be able to see his little girl trying to swing at a plastic ball with all the "big kids" cheering her on. Please allow Todd a glimpse of her running to the wrong base, with shouts and screams from her team mates, "Go to first, Toby!" as she turned in confusion, yet with a a huge smile on her face." I pray Todd saw it all.

Today Winter received a certificate, a pencil, and two books in the mail from her teacher. It was a reward for reading the most in her class during the month of October. A note, "Excellent job, Winter" from her teacher brought a huge smile to her face (and to mine). My request? Dear Father in heaven, please somehow let Todd see and know of Winter's special award for all the reading she did last month." Todd was always reading to the children. He loved to read and encouraged them to do the same. Todd would have made a huge deal about this and made Winter feel even more special. Tonight I told Winter how proud her Daddy was of her. I pray he knows and saw it all.

Some friends took us to a restaurant tonight where we had never been before. It was one of those places that cooks the food in front of you. The children were fascinated. Nathan caught a shrimp in his mouth, and he hates shrimp! I couldn't help but make another request, "Dear Father in heaven, please somehow let Todd see us in this new experience and be able to laugh with us and see what his family was doing." Todd would have made the evening so much more enjoyable, as I felt awkward and out of place without him. I hope he saw us. He would have been proud of the way the children behaved so well and had fun. We would have had even more fun with Todd.

I've had plenty of special requests lately, and I'm sure I'll have more as the holidays come upon us. I miss Todd, but I pray he is able to see and share in some of these things. I'm certain he is busy praising His Father and rejoicing with the others who are in heaven, but I also pray he is able to see some of these things.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh Wendy... I have added you to my daily prayer list. I am ever thankful for your strength (though you don't think you are), your courage (though you wonder if you have any), and your trust in the Father (though you may wonder about that, too). Your faith is amazing.

Wendy said...

Thank you, but I think you have me mistaken for your daughter, Mel!. She's been such an encouragement and blessing as I see these qualities in her. You have a great daughter, but you probably knew that already. Thanks for sharing and visiting here...you, your family, and especially Mel are so very often in my prayers. I can't thank you enough for your prayers for us. It means more than you could imagine. Thank you.