Thursday, November 22, 2007

Aaron Kilmer

I know it's Thanksgiving. I know I should probably be writing tonight about the things I am thankful for, or I should at least be thinking and thanking God for the things that I am thankful for. However, tonight, and all day, my mind and heart have been with Jackie and Bob. See, Jackie is my friend and today she publically said goodbye and buried her son, Aaron, who was only 18 years old. His homegoing to heaven was tragic. It was untimely, at least in all of our eyes. I can't help but wonder what he and Todd are talking about. I know they have had to have met in heaven. I know Todd and Aaron would have gotten along great here on earth, so how much better are they getting along in heaven, praising God together and getting to know each other now? I wish they had met here on earth, but I hadn't met Aaron until after Todd was in heaven.

Jackie was a wonderful encourager to me. This is not her first loss. She also lost her husband, Wayne, when he was murdered years ago, leaving her with five young children. Who else would I call when I was hurting so badly? I knew Jackie would understand, and she did. She prayed with me. She sent daily verses from Psalm 119, and she prayed for me. I know she did, because I could almost "feel" her prayers for me. She helped me to get out my deepest thoughts, then guided those thoughts to Scripture and to my Father in heaven. She always took me to the Father, and would remind me of His love for me. I could never thank her enough.

But this week, this Thanksgiving week when we are being thankful for our blessings, Jackie is again grieving. Wayne and Todd are rejoicing with Aaron in heaven this Thanksgiving, but Jackie and Bob are left here in anguish. All who knew Aaron are grieving, but none as much and as hard as Jackie, Bob, and his many brothers and sisters.

This Thanksgiving is, for our family, the third one where Todd will not be sitting at the table with us. He will be greatly missed again. Yes, we have much to be thankful for, but I am most thankful for my salvation. Because of Christ and Calvary, I am promised an eternity with Him, Todd, and so many others who are already in heaven. I am sure they are all thankful for Christ and Calvary as well!

So this Thanksgiving, I not only praise God for His Son and for Calvary and thank Him for the promise of heaven, but I also thank God for Aaron Kilmer. I thank God for Aaron's 18 years here and for all the smiles and kindness he gave to so many, especially to his family. Aaron will be missed. I pray for the hurting family and friends left here. All questions will be answered in heaven, so hold on to the truths you know and to a God who knows all. Thank you, God, for Aaron. Hold him tight till we see one another again...

2 comments:

Debbie said...

That's a tough one. My heart goes out to them (as well as prayers for them and continued prayers for you and your family)

USMCislandgirl said...

Aaron was my non-related Big Brother...He was there for me through everything thing I had a problem with and I miss him deeply...Everyday I pray that God watches over me, and that Aaron watches me too.