Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ludwig G. Leibbrand

Today I received a package from my parents that included, among other things, a video entitled, "Celebrating the Life of Ludwig G. Leibbrand," or Uncle Louie, to me. As the children and I gathered around to watch, we realized again how much Uncle Louie loved to serve others and make others smile. As we listened to the testimonies from the family, we also realized how much Uncle Louie loved us. The stories sounded so familiar. He did the same for and to us! I laughed through my tears when I heard of the knots in the straws, home-made donuts, those mischievous, smiling, sparkling eyes, and how Uncle Louie made each one feel so uniquely loved.

Nathan will be turning 18 on Saturday, and I've been praying and looking and wondering what special item I could give him that belonged to his father. I gave Abe Todd's high school graduation ring for his 18th birthday. For Nate, I decided on giving him Todd's father's pocket watch. It was the only thing Todd wanted of his father's when his father passed away. Anyway, as I was looking for that special item, I came across Uncle Louie's wedding gift to Todd and I. I smiled and cried at the same time. Aunt Jeanne and Uncle Louie were staying with my parents when they came up for my wedding. Uncle Louie asked my parents if he could visit our condo while we were on our honeymoon. If you knew Uncle Louie, this may not have been a good idea, but when we returned, Uncle Louie was back in Florida, and this is what we found on our bed, with a home-made card wishing us well.

It was a Ziggy in a nightshirt that said, "Nighty Night," and it was lovingly placed on our bed between our pillows. Todd and I loved this Ziggy and it has been on our dresser, reminding us of Uncle Louie's love, all these years. Thank you again, Uncle Louie.

I have to thank God for allowing me to know and be loved by my Uncle Louie. It's still difficult for me to believe he's not down in Florida making cards for people and spreading that smile and joy, but I'm thankful I will see him again one day. He will surely be missed by many, but none will miss him more than Aunt Jeanne. The kids and I made a card for her today.

We used Uncle Louie's signature flower and the kids all put numbers by their name (you have to know Uncle Louie to understand that one). We love you Aunt Jeanne, and we're praying for you!

No comments: