Monday, March 2, 2009

The Loss of a Legend


Well, at least in my little world. To his family, friends, and community, Uncle Louie was a legend. Yesterday we lost that legend suddenly and unexpectantly to a massive heart attack. My heart longs to be with Aunt Jeanne and the family and friends and community in Florida, where Uncle Louie was bigger than life itself. Describing Uncle Louie to others could take hours and pages, but if I had to use one word, it would be GIVING. Uncle Louie loved to give to others. He gave mostly of himself: his time, his heart, his love.

My very early memories of traveling and going to Florida meant seeing Uncle Louie, and that meant not only a ton of smiles and laughs, but also special care packages made just for me and my siblings. When it was time to leave, he was always hiding special treats in the car for us with notes of love and promised prayers.

He and Aunt Jeanne wouldn't miss my wedding...he treated us like one of his own kids. He loved Todd, and he grew to love our children, who were soon treated like his grandchildren! We would get special packages in the mail, never knowing what to expect under all the tape and styrofoam, but it was never disappointing. The kids would squeal with delight to see a package from Uncle Louie (always distinguishable with lots of tape and addressed to "The Radle kids"). Most of his gifts and treats were home made, which made them even more special and unique. He showed us his "work area" once, filled with recycled cards, candy, little plastic toys...anything that would put a smile on someone's face. He was known especially for his cards. He made them special for each one, with obvious love and care. He would hand them to those in his community who needed a smile. He would hand them to people who were sick. He would send them to friends and family for any and all occasions.
Todd received many "Get Well" cards when he was sick from the cancer, but none was as special as Uncle Louie's:




Uncle Louie will be missed by many, yet he left us so much to be thankful for. If you knew him, you were blessed. I am most thankful for his testimony and love for the Lord, because I know one day I will see him again in heaven. He, Todd, and his son-in-law are all rejoicing in heaven tonight. Uncle Louie is safely resting now...basking in God's love, after giving so much to so many here on earth. Thank you, Uncle Louie. We love you! You will be greatly missed.


I don't think it has settled in my mind and surely not in my heart yet, that he is not here with us. I don't want to believe it, because of what a tremendous loss this would be. Yet, I am happy Uncle Louie is now in heaven, at peace in the presence of his Lord and Savior.

No comments: