Monday, January 26, 2009

Grief Share

Ever hear of this program? I've been privileged to attend some of their meetings, and I have been so blessed. If anyone has experienced the loss of a loved one, I encourage you to see if there is a group that meets near you. It is a faith-based, Christ-centered program that is meant to help one not only survive their grief experience, but to grow through it. I have learned so much.

The Grief Share website can give you more info: http://www.griefshare.org/

I thought I would begin sharing some of my Grief Share experience. One of the first things I learned with Grief Share was not to run or ignore or numb the pain I feel. Acknowledge it and go through it, leaning on God for your strength, is what the "professionals" said. I found when the pain came, it felt unbearable for me, so I would busy myself with other things (the children) and try to ignore the pain. It hurt too much. A good friend reminded me of the ocean and the waves again. When the waves come, what do I do? I lean into them and that's exactly what I need to do with the pain. As my friend noted, "Turn your back, lean into it, and find that God will carry you through."

It's a good lesson. I'm still learning. It hurts.

More to come...

No comments: