Saturday, December 22, 2007

So Much BETTER to GIVE than to Receive

I don't like receiving. It makes me feel uncomfortable. For some reason I feel stupid, knowing there are so many other more deserving people than myself to receive things. Perhaps it's pride. I don't know. I just know I don't like receiving gifts. It feels funny to be receiving, especially at this time of year.

I can remember how Todd would come to me often, telling me about someone at work, or on his route, or a family at church who were in need, and would ask me what we could do. Make a dinner? Give them a little cash? Watch their children for an afternoon? Make them a batch of cookies or a cake? Anything...something, because we had so much and were so blessed. We were rarely necessarily blessed financially (when we were, Todd would immediately be thinking of others who were in need), but we were blessed with so many things, one of which was a great, loving, giving husband and Daddy.

I miss Todd's spirit of giving, especially this weekend...

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Just as those we give to can be a blessing to us, you are to those who have given to you. I believe Todd CAN see some things from Heaven. As there is no sorrow, he enjoys their programs, joy for the holidays, and YOUR strength. Just as a sixth grader who gets all "a"s is profient for his level- you are, too. One wouldn't expect that child to succeed in 12th grade work (because that's not where he is) one wouldn't expect you to be past where you are supposed to be. You are doing well, Wendy. The fact your children are looking forward to the holidays speaks volumes of how you are going on (if for nothing else for them). I continue to pray for you and your children-