Thursday, December 20, 2007

John

I tried to call him Pastor John, but it was just John today. He reminded me of some good memories we shared, as our parents were close friends when we were growing up. I thought of more as the day grew on. Playing nerf basketball with John and Buddy, leaping off their beds for the perfect slam dunk, trying not to break anything. The cool bumper pool table they had in their basement. Riding bikes up to the arcade down at the shore. Playing Rook. Spying on my older brother and John's older sister.....didn't they date at one time?

Anyway, a lot of years have passed since those days. I can't sleep again, and I can't stop crying since seeing John today. I honestly think this has been the hardest Christmas yet without Todd. The loneliness can be overwhelming as I try to pick out gifts and get ready for Christmas the best I am able. I feel like I'm falling apart in every area. I've even questioned God's presence and His love for us, wondering if He had forgotten my children and I. I want to scream, "Remember us?? We're still here, alone, without Todd!" The days keep coming, and the tears keep flowing. Life feels so empty and I feel so lost here without Todd. It stinks.

Seeing John today not only brought back some fond memories of growing up, but also allowed me to realize that God has not forgotten us. John repeatedly said he wanted me and the children to feel God's love and know we were not forgotten. Unfortunately, most have forgotten. Afterall, this is the third Christmas now without Todd. However, I didn't feel forgotten today. I felt loved and very blessed in having such a friend like John and for having Fellowship Church, most of whom do not know us, show such care and love to us in their many gifts. My kids were thrilled to unpack the basket and arrange things for me....they sincerely seemed thankful for me, if that makes sense. I'm still overwhelmed; these were special gifts from a special friend...




Thank you, John, and thank you, Fellowship. I pray God's richest blessings upon each of you!





My many thanks also to our Chadds Ford family, who have given much to us this time of year. I am continually amazed at how great God is. It seems when I feel the most down, the most discouraged, the most forgotten, God's people come along to support, uphold, encourage, and remind me of God's love for me.

Thank you so very, very much, John, Fellowship, Chadds Ford, but mostly, GOD. He is so good.

3 comments:

Jeff S said...

Wendy,

I go to Fellowship and we are truly blessed to have John as a pastor. He is such an encouragement and a great friend. I am truly amazed daily at the people he is there for to offer support, encouragement and love. After seeing your story, I am sure that he is just as blessed by you and your encouragement. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. After reading stories about your kids, they seem so special. I thank God that I saw your story. It makes me very happy to see Fellowship step up to put a smile on a face that has gone through unimaginable pain. But, like you put so very well in your blog, "we are not forgotten." And my prayer is that you will find the strength to remember that daily. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy,
I'm praising the Lord with you that He continues to bless you and show you that He loves you through others. Please remember that as we go on with our lives, you are not forgotten and you are loved!
Praying for peace and comfort as you celebrate the Lord's birth and long for His second coming.
Even so come Lord Jesus!
Love in Him,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.