Monday, September 16, 2013

View from a Hospital Bed

I have not been hospitalized since we had our last child, Toby Faith, in October of 2003.  Last week, this was my view.



 ugh.  And right outside the door in the hallway, what picture do they hang?  One for torture! 

I have no complaints.  I'm home.  I love home.  I bet some of you are wondering why in the world I was in the hospital, I mean, a fit, healthy, young lady like myself, right?  No, it was not a mental hospital, although sometimes I wonder if that kind of place would have been better for me.  Maybe one day...

But I digress.  The last few weeks my asthma had been bothering me.  Like normal, I ignored it until I had trouble breathing after just walking down the hall.  My doctor told me to go to the ER last Tuesday.  With no insurance, however, I decided it would be more wise and financially stable to stay at home.  It wasn't.  On Wednesday I was privileged to watch my adorable 2 year old nephew and continue to care for Winter from her back surgery.  That wasn't good for the asthma, which flared so badly that I could barely do anything without coughing for a long time.  Wednesday night was not fun.  So Thursday (the 12th) I told the kids I was going to the ER.  The next thing I knew, they had admitted me with "acute asthma" and "upper respiratory infection."  I was horrified that they would do that to me, having all the responsibility at home!  I have six children, one just recovering from back surgery and another starting her first year of college away from home!  How could they?  And worse yet?  I was stuck on a floor with OLD people!  Apparently they needed to put a heart monitor on me, so that was the reason for my 90 year old room mate and old neighbors.  All the nurses yelled at me...I could hear them!  They didn't need to.  They just kept apologizing saying it was habit. 

I tried everything to get out of there.  I took big deep breaths and tried not to cough.  I inhaled on that stupid plastic measuring cup and tried to make it stay so I could inhale again to make it higher.  (I failed miserably at this)  I tried not to talk so I wouldn't cough when the nurses came in.  I smiled a lot.  I sat up most of the time in bed.  I played games with the nurses on my phone and tried to get them to be my friends so they would tell the doctors I could go home.  I kept telling them how nice they were.  FINALLY, Saturday morning (after two days and two nights away from my children) they let me go home!  I'm certain it had nothing to do with the fact that I was driving them crazy with my sweet personality. 

So I'm home.  And I'm happy.  I wonder if the kids missed me as much as I missed them.  I doubt it, but it's still good to be HOME!  Some day it will be good to all be at our ETERNAL HOME!  But until then, ...one day at a time!

This is my Toddy Bear (and the wedding card he gave me).  He would always sign little notes with "Your Toddy Bear" and a paw print!  Miss you, Toddy Bear!!

No comments: