Thursday, July 10, 2008

Some good "medicine"

"A merry heart does good, like medicine..." Proverbs 17:22a

Today I received a double-dose of some good medicine! I was blessed with two special visits, each bringing a "merry heart" and lots of laughter. It felt good to laugh today. This has been another long week, and today was such a blessing to be able to laugh.

Sue, my cousin and good friend, came and brought lunch. This is the cousin/friend who helped me take care of Todd when he was so sick. She is like a bolt of sunshine and can light up a room like no one else I know. She brought a lot of smiles, but she also was
a huge encouragement today. She reminded me that there is no "time table" for grief. She acknowledged the deep and painful sorrow that I still feel in missing Todd, and assured me that this was perfectly "normal" ...17 wonderful years can not just be "forgotten" or "gotten over" in a few short years. It felt good to cry, and it felt good to laugh, too.

Then there was Amy, who came with her family and bought us pizza for dinner. It was easy to talk about Todd in front of this family. We didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable mentioning his name. Amy has been an incredible friend, always there, always encouraging, and always directing my thoughts to my Savior and God. She's great. But she needs improvement in winning
gracefully. My Dad bought the kids an early Christmas present this week....a Wii. I made the mistake of beating Amy (gracefully, btw) in a game of tennis, and she in return, beat me and let everyone know it...harsh. But I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Her husband helped in that area as well. He's hysterical, and I am so thankful for the laughter he brought to our home today.

Tonight I am thanking God for the blessings of a merry heart and for the double-dose of good medicine I received today. I thank God for my cousin, Sue. And I thank God for Amy and Brent. What a great day! God is good.

5 comments:

Amy said...

winning gracefully??? um, didn't you forget to mention the part about beating me up in our tennis match??? you just better be ready for beach volleyball. :) no, really, we haven't laughed that hard in a long time - it was a fun night!

Wendy said...

I'm sorry....I GRACEFULLY beat you up in the tennis match. How's your arm btw? I hope it's feeling better and you don't use that as an excuse when I gracefully beat you at beach volleyball. :)

Debbie said...

Just "popping in" to say hello and still reading...still praying for you and your family(you are on my daily list).

Wendy said...

Thanks, Debbie. I appreciate your prayers more than I can express. I still am praying for you, Mel, and your family as well! God is our strength! He is good.

Melissa Murphy said...

Isn't it great to just be able to talk to people about your love and not worry about what it is that you're saying??

SUCH a relief.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day!!

~Praying for you!