Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Rose and the Storm

Well, the storm has passed. It was "unprecedented" for this area. It was big. It was scary. There were many warnings, and trips to the grocery store showed the evidence of this as shelves were emptied as people began to prepare to stay indoors for up to a week. Fortunately the storm actually turned and went around us. We had some high winds and lots of rain, but kept our electricity through out the storm as well as a dry basement. Unfortunately, many of our neighbors and our favorite vacation spots, did not fare as well. The Jersey and Delaware shores were devastated and those cities were flooded. It's unbelievable and even sickening to look at the pictures of what the storm did to those well-known and loved cities. Some lost their lives. Very sad.

It was very difficult to go through such a major event without Todd. He was my protection, and I always felt so safe when he was here (especially when he came home from work during a snow storm or other dangerous situations). It was so good to have him here. It was so safe. This storm made me feel so alone and so fearful, despite having our six children all here and knowing that I had a Heavenly Father who was watching over us and protecting us. God was VERY good to us. I am amazed and humbled by His protection and care for us and our home through the "Super Storm Sandy."

Today I noticed the rose. Todd had given me this rose bush before he died, because he used to give me roses all the time. He wanted to be sure "he" kept giving them to me even though he was not here physically. Every time they bloom, I think of his love and care for me and our family. I love him so much! After the storm, I noticed a rose in bloom, intact, healthy, looking beautiful. Thank you, Todd. Thank you, Father in heaven.

....such a beautiful reminder that Todd was with us in spirit through the storm, and that God, our loving Heavenly Father, was here protecting and caring for me like no human being could ever do!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just lost my husband of 40 years this March 2013. It was 'expected' but 'unexpected', and I thank God knowing he is with the Lord. Today was a hard day for me, lonely, one of those days you ask yourself, 'how am I going to make it thru this', even focused on the Lord and His Word. Coming across your blog has brought me the comfort that I needed today - -that I'm not alone in this. Thank you for writing.