Monday, May 4, 2009

Interesting visit to the dentist

This morning I had to take the two youngest to the pediatric dentist. Praise the Lord, there were no cavities! But while in the waiting room, I witnessed the most horrific case of verbal child abuse I have ever seen. All of us waiting were disgusted, saddened, and some were ready to attack this "mother." I prayed for wisdom, but kept silent. We all did. She was a big lady, and not very kind. I can't get that young child out of my head. The whole incident made me physically sick to my stomach. So sad.

Later, when I was called back to talk to the dr, a kind nurse filled me in on the details. She was authoratative, and I found myself instinctively saying, "yes, mam." After hugging Toby, the nurse touched my arm and said I looked familiar. She told me her name, a name from that past. Have you ever met someone years later from school days whom you thought yourself much better than? This was one of those "friends." I never liked her. I treated her badly. She was younger, and at the time, just a pest to deal with. Talk about a complete change in veiwpoint! I hope I didn't look as stunned as I felt when hearing that name.

When she asked about my family, I couldn't tell her Todd had died. It was strange. I talked as if he were at work..."we have six children"..."I met Todd at church"...we go to Chadds Ford Baptist now" ...it felt so natural to say and it felt good too.

This morning's visit to the dentist was certainly interesting. My heart aches for that little boy. My heart aches to be close to Todd again. One day it will all be "right."

I am comforted by these words from I Thessalonians 4:13-18, and pray you are as well!

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

No comments: