Friday, May 1, 2009

Winter's First "Sleepover"

Wow. This is a big night for our family. Tonight Winter is spending the night at a friend's house. But for Winter Hope, this is not your average, run-of-the-mill sleepover that all little girls enjoy. For Winter, personally, this is a huge step. She's growing up, becoming more independent, and was excited to go. For Mom, this is a huge learning experience...again. You may remember Winter's story. She still requires medicine to assist her with her breathing problems, although we have not had an "episode" for seven months now. I left her tonight with her medicine, friends, lots of prayers, in the capable hands of a great Mom, and ultimately in God's all-powerful, all-knowing Arms of Love. Now comes the hard part...waiting. Waiting and resting in the knowledge that she is in God's Arms tonight, not mine, until I can pick her up tomorrow morning!

Even though I have five children here at home, I feel lonely, incredibly lonely. The other kids know Winter's history, but Todd was the only one who truly lived Winter's history with me....the sleepless nights, the fear, the panic when she would turn blue and purple, the heart-pounding "rescues," the long days and nights spent at childrens' hospitals. I can see Todd's smile tonight, but I can't hear his words, "She'll be fine." It's lonely here. I can only pray. God is here, and He is with our precious Winter Hope. I know she is having a great time.

No comments: